During liquid diets, you will take most or all of your calories from beverages, a liquid meal, or other drinks. Some plans are restricted to fruit shakes or vegetable juices which replace all meals.
Others substitute only a couple of meals. The second ones are more permissive because you can also consume whole foods. So, which one would be the right choice for your health and fitness goals?
Below, I have detailed some of the best liquid diets designed.
- 1 Which Are the Best Liquid Diets that Help You Lose Weight Quickly?
- 2 1. Master Cleanse
- 3 2. Cabbage Soup Diet
- 4 3. Lemonade Water Detox Diet
- 5 How to Do a Lemonade Water Detox Diet
- 6 4. Fruit and Veggies Juice Fast
- 7 5. IBIH 5-Day Keto Soup Diet
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 Bottom Line: Do Liquid Diets Work?
- 10 Additional Readings:
Which Are the Best Liquid Diets that Help You Lose Weight Quickly?
1. Master Cleanse
Master Cleanse is a popular and effective liquid diet that involves the consumption of a modified lemon juice fast. Not only will this liquid diet plan help you shed a few extra pounds but it will also remove toxins from your body. According to some people, this liquid fasting can lead to a quick weight loss.
You can expect to lose up to 20 pounds in only ten days. Still, you must follow a strict eating plan which means you’re not allowed to eat any solid food type.
How to Do a Master Cleanse
For a minimum of ten days, you need to say goodbye to whole foods. Your new best friends will be a reinterpreted lemonade concoction, salt water, and herbal laxative tea. Here’s how you must follow this liquid diet:
- Start your mornings by drinking a couple of cups of salt water. Prepare this mix by adding two teaspoons of sea salt to 0.95 L of water. This combination must be consumed on an empty stomach. Expect to have several eliminations during the first hour after drinking this liquid.
- Drink at least six glasses of organic lemonade mixture throughout the entire day. To prepare this special lemonade, you will need the following ingredients: lime or lemon juice, cayenne pepper, maple syrup, and lukewarm water.
- Each night, before going to bed, you must drink one cup of herbal tea. Pick one that also has a mild laxative effect.
- Optionally, you can also enjoy a cup of peppermint tea as long as it is organic and only if you do that occasionally.
- It is easy and convenient although it is a very strict diet.
- It won’t cost you a lot of money so it is more than affordable, especially if you think that there are only two ingredients which are slightly more pricey (maple syrup and lemons). All the other items can be found in any household.
- You will lose weight quickly while also cleansing your organism.
- From a nutritional point of view, this might not be the soundest diet out there.
- It is a hard diet to follow and it can be annoying because you will go to the bathroom a lot throughout the day.
- You will have to deal with hunger sensation.
- Some people have reported certain side effects like dizziness, fatigue, and confusion.
2. Cabbage Soup Diet
This is a calorie-restricted diet during which you’re allowed to consume only 800-1000 calories per day. It is a popular fasting that actually works. Still, the cabbage soup diet is only a short-term weight-loss solution and you shouldn’t follow it for more than one or two weeks. Besides cabbage soup, you can also eat certain vegetables and fruits as well as a small number of proteins and carbs.
How to Do a Cabbage Soup Liquid Diet
The most important role of this fasting is played by the homemade cabbage soup so be ready to cook large quantities of this item. The most basic ingredients are cabbage, onions, tomatoes, celery, green peppers, mushrooms, carrots, water, and bouillon cubes but the last one is optional. Here’s how you do this diet:
- 1st day – as much soup as you want and some fruits (no bananas);
- 2nd day – soup and vegetables (leafy greens mostly);
- 3rd day – soup, fruits, and vegetables (no bananas and no mashed potato (or potatoes));
- 4th day – cabbage soup, skim milk and bananas;
- 5th day – a limited amount of beef, fish, or chicken (10-20 ounces), unlimited cabbage soup, fresh tomatoes;
- 6th day – soup, veggies, broiled fish or beef;
- 7th day – vegetables, fruit juice, cabbage soup, brown rice.
I don’t recommend you to continue this liquid diet for more than a week. Wait a couple of weeks before repeating it.
- This diet will help you lose weight in no time – you can easily drop 20-40 pounds in 2-4 weeks;
- The soup has a good taste so it won’t be hard for you to consume it;
- It is an affordable diet which is also highly convenient because you won’t have to shop for a lot of food items during this fasting;
- It teaches you self-control.
- At first, you might feel a bit weak as well as disoriented;
- It can be pretty boring to consume only cabbage soup for a couple of weeks at a time;
- If you don’t follow it properly or if you’re not completely healthy, this liquid diet might mess up your digestive system, leading to stomach cramps.
3. Lemonade Water Detox Diet
A lemon cleanse is a natural way to drop a few pounds in a short period of time. It eliminates your body’s wastes and it may improve your liver functions. Unlike other liquid diets, the lemonade water detox is a more flexible weight-loss method due to the fact that it can be combined with whole foods and full meals. It has been ardently applied for years. One can see this as an inexpensive and healing detox diet.
How to Do a Lemonade Water Detox Diet
This diet is typically followed for a minimum of ten days in order to achieve significant results. Basically, you must drink a lot of infused water in between meals.
Here’s how to properly prepare the infused water:
- Add two sliced lemons in about 64 ounces of water and allow this mixture to sit overnight;
- You can also include a sliced cucumber if you want to achieve a better taste as well as some extra skin benefits;
- Some say you should also add a small piece of ginger root, cinnamon, chili pepper, turmeric, whole cloves, mint leaves, Aloe Vera gel, or even a handful of raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries for an antioxidant effect;
- Drink one glass of this infused water first thing in the morning. Then, drink the same amount of lemonade before and after each one of your meals.
- It will boost your immunity due to the fact that lemons contain a high amount of vitamin C;
- This works as both a weight-loss diet and a cleansing method that will flush harmful toxins out of your body;
- Lemons can aid digestion and stimulate stomach acids;
- It leads to rapid weight loss – you can drop up to 4 pounds per day;
- It is a natural diet that balances your body’s PH.
- Drinking only lemon juice all day might irritate your colon, and make you feel hungry and without energy;
- This diet involves a concerning nutrition deficiency because lemon juice lacks some important elements such as minerals, protein, and others;
- A large quantity of lemon juice might be too acid for your teeth which can lead to dental issues like tooth decay;
- Some people can experience fatigue, lethargy, and even headaches.
4. Fruit and Veggies Juice Fast
Juice fasting happens when you only drink liquids made from fresh fruits and vegetables and exclude all solid food types. By doing so, you begin to release toxins. Moreover, your body becomes nourished and repair can start. It is a strict eating plan although it is a bit more flexible than, let’s say, a water fasting.
Juice detox involves the consumption of an increased amount of fruits and veggies which all of us know it represents a healthier way of life. Certain studies have shown that including more of these foods in your daily diet can lead to improved mental and physical health, and a boosted overall well-being.
How to Do a Fruit and Veggies Juice Fast
If you feel ready to initiate your very own juice fast, you should pay attention to the following guidelines which will transform your liquid meal diet into a positive experience:
- To avoid an excess sugar intake, I recommend you to eat more veggie juices instead of fruit ones – the proper ratio should be 4:1 in favor of vegetables.
- To avoid pesticide exposure, try to purchase organic foods. We’re talking about a detox process after all.
- If you choose to prepare your own juices, you should invest in a good juicer. If you opt for prepackaged juices, make sure they are freshly made.
- Plan ahead and do your shopping before the actual cleansing period begins. Prep the food items which means you should wash, organize, and keep them in the fridge until you include them in a beverage.
- Because you drink plenty of juice you might think there’s no need to include a lot of water in your diet. That’s not true! Make sure to consume enough water throughout the day. Water keeps you hydrated while also boosting the toxin flushing process.
- Start slow, try gentler juice fasting at first, and don’t forget to stay physically active. Intense workouts are out of the question but brisk walks will do the trick.
- Juice fasting nourishes your body’s cells because fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and enzymes;
- It helps your organism to absorb its essential nutrients a lot easier;
- Represents an excellent practice of lowering produce waste;
- There are numerous possibilities and you can opt for any fruit and veggie combination you want so you will never get bored when it comes to flavors.
- You might not lose weight as much as you expect because you will feel hungry all the time and if you aren’t motivated enough you might cave to cravings;
- Some specialists say it is better for us to consume whole food items instead of processing them into juices because these beverages contain a lot more sugar than fresh veggies and fruits which can lead to a blood sugar spike;
- It can be quite expensive whether you purchase fresh organic items or if you choose to go with premade juice bottles.
5. IBIH 5-Day Keto Soup Diet
This keto soup eating plan was created around the Turbo Atkins Diet Soup and it was designed to promote rapid weight loss. This diet is easy to do because it doesn’t require you to spend a lot of time in your kitchen. The most important part of the diet is the soup which has an excellent taste that makes it a lot easier to follow this 5-day eating plan.
How to Do an IBIH 5-Day Keto Soup Diet
- The main dish of this liquid diet is the keto soup for which you will need the following ingredients: olive oil, onions, sundried tomatoes, chicken stock, white mushrooms, fresh garlic, celery root, chicken breast, green beans, yellow squash, red wine vinegar, Swiss chard, fresh basil, water, salt, and pepper.
- Each day you must eat the keto soup for both lunch and dinner. Breakfast should include bulletproof tea, 2 eggs, half of an avocado, one teaspoon of butter, and 2 bacon strips. The afternoon snack is comprised of an egg salad but you can replace eggs with tuna or chicken.
Don’t worry if you have some sort of allergy to eggs. You can always replace them with tuna salad. Also, if your allergy expends to tuna as well, prepare the salad with chicken. So, as you can see, you are free to customize this diet in such a way that suits your needs and preferences, as long as you don’t include any forbidden food items. Also, you must keep your calorie intake between 1200 and 1400 each day.
During the IBIH 5-Day Keto Soup Diet, you cannot consume any sweeteners, nuts, or dairy products. This leads to a lower inflammation and a boosted fat burning process.
- It provides you with all the necessary nutrients, electrolytes, and antioxidants that will help your body lose weight while also detoxing;
- It is convenient and the recipe is easy to prepare;
- This diet will help you lose weight and stay slim as long as you complete the 5-day period;
- It is not that bad compared to many other liquid diets because it allows you to include some whole foods as well as eggs, chicken, or tuna.
- It can be a really tough diet but it is truly worth the effort;
- Requires an adjusting period for your body which is hard to accomplish in only 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do liquid meal plans consist of only drinks?
Liquid diets are great if you want to lose weight fast because they containt fewer calories packed with essential nutritents. However, if you are going on a liquid diet plan, it’s recommended to eat soft food and snacks in between your meals because you shouldn’t stay on a pure liquid diet plan in the long run.
What does liquid diet plan consist of?
A liquid diet plan as the name suggests, consists of liquids that are packed essential nutrients that are easily digested and contain fewer calories. The most popuar liquid meal replacement is usually:
- Fruit flavored drinks
- Tea or coffee (without milk)
- Ice Cream, Ice pops or fruit ice
- Clear Fruit Juice:
- Apple Juice
- Cranberry Juice
- Grape Juice
Am I allowed do drink smoothies on a liquid diet?
Yes. If you are going on a full liquid diet plan, you’re also allowed to have thicker clear fluids like smoothies, protein shake, fruit ice, and dairy (skim milk, coconut milk, soy milk, almond milk, cashew link)
Bottom Line: Do Liquid Diets Work?
Most liquid diets are effective but they only work as a short-term weight-loss solution. If you don’t develop an overall healthier and well-balanced lifestyle, the results of such a fasting may not last.
So, no matter what liquid diet you’re about to try, make sure to change your entire eating behavior as well.
- How to Find the Right Diet
- The Best Medifast Foods to Eat To Lose Weight and Be Happy
- Medifast vs Nutrisystem: What Is The Difference and Which Is The Best
- Medifast vs Optavia: Which Is Best for You
- Alternatives to Medifast: 3 Amazing Diets Similar to Medifast
- Medifast vs Wonderslim: Which One Actually Works?
- Meal Replacement vs Protein Shakes
- Joylent vs Soylent : Which Meal Replacement is Best?
- Benefits of Breakfast Smoothies for Weight Loss
Last updated: December 15, 2020
The information contained on www.altprotein.com website (the “Service”) is for general information purposes only.
Alt Protein assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in the contents on the Service.
In no event shall Alt Protein be liable for any special, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages or any damages whatsoever, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other arising out of or in connection with the use of the Service or the contents of the Service. Alt Protein reserves the right to make additions, deletions, or modification to the contents on the Service at any time without prior notice.
Alt Protein does not warrant that the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components.
The Service offers health, fitness and nutritional information and is designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.
Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you may have read on the Service. The use of any information provided on the Service is solely at your own risk.
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.