I know you’re trying to lose weight and you have found a couple of programs that seem to be effective but it is hard to decide which one should you go for, right?
Both Nutrisystem and Diet-to-Go are popular eating regimens but how are these two plans different and which one is the best choice for you? You’re about to find all that and more, in today’s comparative review.
Bottom Line Up Front: Here’s my ultimate conclusion (full disclaimer). I prefer going with Nutrisystem here because it offers a more comprehensive managed plan to lose weight. HOWEVER, if you love a wider variety of freshly cooked meals, Diet to Go is also a great option here.
The Nutrisystem Plans
Nutrisystem is more complex regarding their plan categories and subcategories. I actually wrote a full overview of all of the Nutrisystem plans, because of the complexity.
First of all, there are three main standard plans: the Basic one, the Core program, and their high-end plan which is called Uniquely Yours. Secondly, under each of these three systems, you will find specialized diets created for people with unique nutritional needs: for men, women, people with diabetes, and vegetarians. Each of these plans is created to suit different needs. For example, the one dedicated to men has an overall higher calorie intake.
Here are the company’s standard plans and what they represent:
- The Basic eating plan – offers clients a limited number of meal options selected from a list made after most customers have expressed their favorite choices. So, the main drawback is that you don’t have the possibility to choose your own meals.
- The Core program – there is a list of already prepared and ready-to-go food items and you can choose your favorite ones from there. It is better than the basic plan and it isn’t a lot more expensive than the first low-cost alternative.
- The Uniquely Yours plan – this is the premium alternative that has the best advantages. Consumers are free to choose the meals they like most. Besides ready-to-go meals, you will also get a wider selection of gourmet frozen foods.
Like its main competitor, Diet-to-Go also offers several eating plans. All the meals offered by the company are properly portioned, nutritionally-balanced, and all you have left to do is enjoy them. Diet-to-Go has four available programs:
The Balance menu – it focuses on low-fat and calorie-controlled meals. Furthermore, all the foods are low in carbs, cholesterol, and sodium. If you’re an omnivore, this is the perfect choice for you. Also, people who don’t like eating seafood should give this plan a try. The daily calorie intake ranges between 1200 and 1600.
The Balance D plan – this one was specially created for people with diabetes and it follows all the guidelines and requirements of the American Diabetes Association regarding both carbs and fat consumption. Not only is this plan good for diabetic patients, but it can prevent type-2 diabetes as well. In fact, you can follow this program even if you’re completely healthy because it is a healthy, safe, and effective way to lose weight. The meals will regulate your blood sugar levels.
Keto-Carb30 plan – if you’re more into diets that are similar to Atkins or other low-carb systems, you can easily opt for the Keto-Carb30 option. You will replace carbohydrates with good-quality fats such as cheese, eggs, and meat. You will lose those extra pounds in no time without affecting your health. During this diet, you will consume an average of 1300 calories a day.
The Vegetarian plan – it goes without saying that this specific alternative is dedicated to people who lead a meat-free way of life. Basically, this is similar to the Balance plan but without meaty foods. Nevertheless, all the meals are perfectly balanced, healthy for your heart, and portion-controlled. They are low in sodium, fats, carbohydrates, and cholesterol. Moreover, they are full of nutritious compounds. Finally, the protein comes from safe sources like eggs, dairy, beans, and sometimes soy.
Diet-to-Go vs Nutrisystem – Types of Meals
One of the most important differences that set these two programs apart is seen in their types of meals. Unlike Diet-to-Go, Nutrisystem foods have the tendency to be significantly smaller and simpler. On one hand, this makes total sense when you think about how many meals you’re getting each day (Nutrisystem daily plan is comprised of 5-6 meals while Diet-to-Go has only 2 or 3 meals each day).
Despite the fact that Diet-to-Go offers fewer daily meals, their foods are freshly made, frozen, and then delivered to your doorstep along with instructions and guidelines regarding heating and preparation. Generally speaking, they are more nutritious and substantial compared to Nutrisystem meals.
Finally, most consumers say they are pleased by how Diet-to-Go puts an emphasis on freshness and quality but they also say it is something many people expect at such a high price per day.
A Few Examples of Nutrisystem Meals – Only Ready-to-Go Ones
- Meatballs with marinara sauce;
- Thick crust pizza;
- Chocolate cake;
- Chicken pot pie;
- Chicken enchilada with brown rice;
- Double chocolate caramel bar, etc.
- A Few Examples of Nutrisystem Meals – available only with the High-End Plan
- Chicken parmesan with noodles;
- Roasted turkey with mashed potatoes;
- Salisbury steak accompanied by a classic Mac and Cheese side dish;
- Chicken breast stuffed with cheese and broccoli;
- Thick sliced French toast;
- Chocolate cupcake;
- Red velvet Whoopie pie, etc.
- Some Examples of Meals Provided by Diet-to-Go
- Kale and Swiss frittata;
- Boston cod with lemon herb sauce;
- Chicken stew with vegetables and peanuts;
- Greek burrito with soy sauce;
- Pork chop with beans, tomatoes, and other veggies;
- Waffles in syrup with apples and peaches, etc.
What About the Taste?
According to most consumers who have tried these two meal programs, Diet-to-Go seems to deliver more delicious foods compared to Nutrisystem. Despite their recent improvements, Nutrisystem has still failed to become the best when it comes to taste. So, if we consider taste tests, we could say that Diet-to-Go is definitely the winner. However, each person has unique needs and preferences so it might all be a matter of personal liking.
Diet-to-Go vs Nutrisystem – How Much Do They Cost?
In the price department, Nutrisystem has the advantage because it is a lot more affordable compared to Diet-to-Go. The company’s basic plan starts at a bit under $10 per day while Uniquely Yours, which is their premium program, costs around $12 per day. The good part is that sometimes, Nutrisystem offers all sorts of discounts for their website visitors.
Diet-to-Go is much more expensive. The lowest-priced plan starts at approximately $20 per day and it goes up from there based on the number of meals you order per day (two or three), the type of menu you select (there are four available options), and the number of calories your chosen plan provides. Still, like in the case of Nutrisystem, you can also find discount coupons published on their website, once in a while.
Which One of These Two Programs Has a Higher Flexibility?
Both programs are great at giving clients plenty of options to choose from. Still, they have quite different approaches. For example, two of the Nutrisystem’s plans (Uniquely Yours and the Core system) create the opportunity for the consumers to select their favorite meal varieties. So, you can say they are more flexible than other plans.
On the other hand, Diet-to-Go allows consumers to swap out meals on all their plans as well as customizing their menus online without charging the clients extra. Therefore, it is safe to say that Diet-to-Go is better at giving its dieters more options in terms of flexibility.
For instance, you can opt to receive a full week delivery (7 days). If you want to exclude weekends from your eating plan, the company also has a 5-day delivery plan.
Another thing that I like about Diet-to-Go and their high level of flexibility is the fact that I can get 2 or 3 daily meals based on my preferences, budget, and other personal factors.
The level of flexibility can also be measured in these two programs’ delivery service. While Nutrisystem provides a whole month’s worth of foods at a time, Diet-to-Go delivers only the necessary meals to cover one single week. So, all things considered, it is pretty hard to decide which company is better in this regard.
Which One Has Higher-Quality Foods?
It is only normal to be concerned about the quality of the foods you consume, especially when you’re on a diet. Low-quality meals can seriously affect your health while also interfering with your fitness and nutritional goals. If you have asked me this question a couple of years ago, I would have said that Diet-to-Go is the winner, for sure. This is because the company focuses on delivering freshly-prepared meals that are free of preservatives.
However, lately, Nutrisystem has made numerous important changes and improvements in order to increase the quality of the foods they offer. In fact, this particular manufacturer provides healthy and well-balanced meals that don’t contain MSG or trans-fats. Moreover, dieters will be able to choose from more than 100 different food items that are free of any artificial preservatives. So, I guess, we can talk about a tie in this area.
Diet-to-Go vs Nutrisystem – Which One Is More Effective?
In terms of weight-loss results, we can say it’s a tie because both diets claim they help you lose around 2 pounds per week. It is true, however, that the outcome also depends on many other factors such as your current weight and body measurements, gender, diet adherence, and your activity level.
What sets Nutrisystem apart from many other similar programs, including Diet-to-Go, is its Lean 13 plan which all dieters will receive as a weight-loss kick-start system as soon as they purchase any of the company’s other plans. Lean 13 lasts for one single week and it comes as a kit.
During it, you will lose weight quicker than expected. It is said to help you shed no less than 13 pounds as well as approximately 7 inches around your waist and all these in the first month of the program. Unfortunately, Diet-to-Go doesn’t offer anything similar to that so there’s a huge possibility you might experience faster results by following the Nutrisystem diet due to their kick-start program.
Nutrisystem Pros and Cons
- With Nutrisystem, you will also have the advantage of variety;
- It is a convenient and time-saving program;
- Clients will receive full support and counseling sessions;
- It is an effective program that helps you lose weight quickly and safely;
- Besides healthy eating, this diet plan also promotes regular physical activity.
- It can be perceived as pretty expensive;
- It is not a proper long-term weight-loss solution;
- You won’t be able to share your meals with your family member because the foods are single-serving;
- You will still have to purchase some groceries on your own;
- Not all Nutrisystem meals are fresh or totally free of preservatives.
Diet-to-Go Pros and Cons
- There is a wide variety of meal choices;
- The portions are already measured so you won’t have to waste time doing that anymore;
- Diet-to-Go offers plenty of different eating plans designed to meet specific needs;
- You can easily order the meals online but you can also pick your order from on-site company locations;
- There are no commitments required when you decide to follow one of the company’s plans. There are no contracts whatsoever;
- It might cost more than your regular eating regimen but it is not the most expensive program on the market;
- All the foods are freshly made and all the ingredients are healthy, nutritious, and safe.
- Some individuals consider this program too expensive;
- Not all plans have the same level of customization;
- There aren’t a lot of pick-up points if you want to choose this alternative instead of home delivery.
Bottom Line: Diet to Go or Nutrisystem?
So, which plan should you go for? It is tricky to make a decision, even now, when you know a lot more details about each one of these two programs.
They are both good weight-loss alternatives.
Let’s summarize them a bit in order to make this process even easier for you.
Diet-to-Go provides variety and customization. It is pretty affordable without being time-consuming. In fact, it is a convenient system during which you will benefit from healthy and tasty meals, nutritious ingredients, support and counseling from experts and professionals, and access to online tools.
On the other hand, Nutrisystem is a much more popular and well-known weight-loss program. It has a long tradition of successful consumer stories. The company has helped people slim down since 1972. Besides regular meals, you will also enjoy delicious treats such as chocolate cereal bars, berry muffins, and more which come in handy for those with a sweet tooth.
- Best Nutrisystem Plans Compared
- Medifast vs Nutrisystem
- Optavia vs Nutrisystem
- Seattle Sutton vs Nutrisystem
- Bistro MD versus Nutrisystem Compared
Bottom Line: Both programs are remarkably well designed and easy to follow, but I’ll give Nutrisystem some benefit of the doubt as they have decades of experience. 1) They will be here in the future, and 2) they have experience working out the kinks. Right now you can take $80 off the Uniquely Yours program here.
Alt Protein Team is a team of professionals and enthusiasts committed to bringing you the most up-to-date information on alternative protein, health and wellness, workouts, and all things health-related. We’ve reviewed a lot of products and services so you don’t have to guess when you spend your hard-earned money on them. Whether you want to shed some pounds, build lean muscle or bulk, we can help you figure out what you need to do and what you need to have to achieve your goals.