Some refer to neck fat as a double chin or turkey neck. Either way, it is a problem that affects many people and, besides possible health issues, it can also lead to low self-esteem. Even more problematic is the fact that the whole neck area is a pretty tough one to work and tone. Therefore, general workouts, exercises, diet, and overall weight loss represent the most effective methods to get rid of neck fat.
How to Get Rid of Neck Fat – Top Best Ways
This exercise can be done with or without equipment. If you want to use some sort of fitness gear, I recommend you to opt for a four-way neck tool. Here are the steps you must follow to perform a neck flexion:
- Stand up and keep your posture straight and tall;
- Bend your head down while trying to bring the chin as close to the chest as possible without hurting your neck;
- Keep your mouth closed during the entire time;
- Return to the initial position.
This is another exercise that can be performed with or without a four-way neck machine. Here’s what you have to do:
- Raise your chin up by moving it away from the chest. Do that by pressing the back part of your head backward;
- Return to the initial position, standing up straight, keeping your spine aligned.
If you want to boost this exercise’s difficulty level, you should use a resistance band:
- Keep a proper straight posture and look right in front of you;
- Tilt your head to one side of your body by bringing the ear close to the shoulder;
- Both shoulders must remain flat during this exercise so make sure you don’t lift them up;
- Do the same move on the other side of the body and then return to the initial pose.
- Turn your head to one side and try to gaze over your shoulder;
- Meanwhile, don’t forget to keep your body stable and your hips and torso facing forward;
- Do the same on the opposite side;
- If you want, you could even use your hand to provide extra resistance.
- Keep your posture straight and tall while holding one dumbbell in each hand. Remember that your palms should face your body;
- Exhale slowly and lift your shoulders up as much as you can;
- Hold that position for several seconds, if possible;
- Lower the dumbbells and the shoulders back down until you reach the starting pose.
Shoulder Blade Squeeze
- Tuck your chin into the chest;
- Make sure your shoulders aware away from your ears. Drop them down and toward the back;
- Squeeze both shoulder blades equally and closely together;
- Maintain this position for a couple of seconds then go back to the first position.
Exercises to Get Rid of a Double Chin
- Place a soft ball right under your chin. The ball should be around 9 or 10 inches;
- Press the ball with your chin by taking your head closer to your chest;
- Repeat this movement for at least 20 times.
Straight Jaw Jut
- Raise up your chin by tilting your head backward and gazing towards the ceiling;
- Push up the lower jaw until you feel it stretching;
- Hold this position for an average of 10 seconds;
- Relax the jaw by slowly returning to a neutral posture.
Bottom Jaw Jut
- Look at the ceiling by tilting your head back;
- Rotate your head to one side or the other while maintaining a tilted head position;
- Slide the lower part of the jaw forward until you feel the stretch;
- Hold the pose for at least 5 seconds and then release;
- Do the same movement on the other side as well.
- Keep a straight and aligned posture. Your head is straight and your gaze is forward while your tongue is sticking out of your mouth. Stick it out as far as possible;
- Now, move your tongue upwards, toward your nose;
- Hold both positions for about 10 seconds and then relax.
Strength, Weight Training, and Cardio
Aerobic or cardio workouts will boost your body’s natural fat-burning process which further supports weight loss. Experts recommend an average of one hour of cardio exercises per day for five days in a row. To achieve maximum effects, the intensity level should be medium. Feel free to experiment with all sorts of activities like power walking, biking, dancing, jogging, swimming, etc.
Two days per week should be dedicated to strength training. Besides burning fat and calories through cardiovascular workouts, you must also build muscle mass and that can be obtained through weight or strength training. There’s a difference between these two types of exercises, though. Strength training refers to resistance and includes weights, Pilates, and even yoga. Weight training requires you to lift weights or work with weightlifting equipment.
If your doctor allows or recommends it, you can also take nutrition or fitness supplements to boost fat burn and increase muscle mass production. The best choices are whey protein supplements, beta-alanine, creatine, L-carnitine, Omega-3 amino acids, live bacteria, and inulin. Check with your physician to see if you lack minerals or vitamins. If that is the case, you may have deficiencies of vitamin D, iron, magnesium, or iodine.
In order to solve the problem of a double chin, some individuals opt for surgery or invasive medical procedures. To treat a double chin, you can choose (together with your doctor) one of the following surgeries:
- Liposculpting – during this procedure, the doctor removes the fat by using a laser or through suction. You should know that after this surgery, your skin won’t become more elastic. You will only get rid of fat;
- Mesotherapy – this procedure consists of compound injections. These injected substances dissolve fat. Still, this is a long-term process that can even take 6 months. Moreover, some people need to do more than 100 injections to see results. If the shots aren’t administered properly, the procedure may cause nerve damage;
- Kybella – this is a drug that has received FDA approval. One treatment requires up to 50 injections. The substance goes into the fat tissue. A patient may need to do six different treatment sessions to achieve results.
Note! All these medical operations might have side effects like bruising, pain, and swelling. Also, if you don’t change your entire lifestyle (including physical activity and diet), your double chin will appear again.
- Lower your daily calorie intake – if you consume 500 calories less each day, you will be able to lose around 0.5 kg per week. You can follow a healthy and balanced diet but refuse to starve yourself because this can lead to numerous health problems;
- Drink plenty of water – staying hydrated is essential if you want to be in good health and great shape. Water prevents illnesses and supports the functions of your organism. Furthermore, well-hydrated skin looks better, tighter, and less saggy;
- Eat a lot of veggies and fruits – including these two food categories in your daily diet can seriously help you lose weight, burn fat, and build muscle mass. Make sure to consume grilled, boiled, or steamed veggies instead of fried ones. Also, don’t exaggerate with fruits because too many of them can make you gain weight;
- Eat lean proteins – compared to carbs and other nutrients, lean protein will keep you satiated for longer. Include a small amount of protein to every meal. To avoid getting bored, mix things up. You can choose from lean beef, seafood, eggs, nuts, and more.
Use Skincare Products
- Wear sunscreen – sunscreen will protect your skin from getting saggy and wrinkled. Moreover, if you don’t take good care of your skin, it tends to age quicker. The best thing to do is to use a sunscreen that has 30 SPF and wear it all year round;
- Use retinol-based creams – these products treat and prevent wrinkles from forming. You can get them with a prescription but there are also some options that can be bought over-the-counter.
Applying Slimming Creams and Massaging the Area
You will find some specially-created creams on the market that have the purpose of remodeling one’s skin. They require daily application, patience, and perseverance. However, using these creams without changing your diet or engaging in proper physical activities won’t get you far.
What you have to do is apply a proper amount of cream all over your neck and then gently massage the area until the cream gets absorbed into your skin. You may feel a tingling sensation but that’s normally because these types of products are made to stimulate blood circulation. Another effective way is through regular facial massages. You can learn to do it at home or, if you can afford it, you can go to the spa.
Benefits and Risks of Neck Exercises
- You will release tension and get rid of stiffness;
- These exercises can lower pain while also boosting mobility and flexibility;
- The stronger your neck is, the more you will prevent possible neck injuries or cervical spine problems;
- People who suffer from chronic pain will benefit from neck exercises. They will experience less disability and improved function;
- Research has shown that neck movements can lower headaches.
If you overwork the muscles of your neck or if you perform the movements in an inappropriate manner, you might experience pain. Misusing your neck’s muscles can lead to injuries caused by factors such as worn joints, strained muscles, and nerve compression.
To prevent all these problems, make sure to perform the correct movements while keeping a proper alignment and a good posture. Slow and controlled movements are the best and safest ones. Don’t force anything and don’t do these exercises every day. Instead, offer your body enough time to rest and recover in between sessions.
Best Foods to Consume to Get Rid of Neck Fat
Try to include the following foods into your daily diet:
- Green tea – has powerful antioxidant properties and promotes weight loss;
- Lemon juice – contains vitamin C which is an antioxidant that promotes fat burn and boosts metabolism;
- Carrots – contain plenty of fiber and vitamin A so you will feel full and satiated for a longer time;
- Coconut oil – boosts your metabolism due to its medium-chain fatty acids;
- Red bell peppers – similar to lemons, these veggies are rich in vitamin C;
- Aloe Vera – stimulates collagen production and speeds up your metabolic process.
What Causes Neck Fat?
Being overweight or obese often leads to neck fat which is softer when you touch it. In other words, the skin becomes looser. Neck fat can also appear when you follow poor eating habits or lack physical activity. Certain health issues, although they are rare, can cause obesity which further causes neck fat. Here are some of the most common reasons why people develop neck fat:
• Excess weight – if you used to be overweight but you aren’t anymore, you may deal with a double chin because of how stretched your skin used to be. Also, when you carry some extra pounds around, fat can be stored in your jawline not only around your belly, hips, or thighs;
• Age – like it or not, aging comes with some negative effects and one of them is saggy skin. That occurs because the skin becomes less elastic as your organism grows older;
• Genetics – in some cases, double chins run in one’s family and it is a feature that’s inherited;
• Poor diet – people who consume a lot of processed or highly-caloric foods tend to develop neck fat;
• Bad posture – if you follow a pretty balanced lifestyle and you’re not overweight but you still have a double chin, the reason may be bad posture. If you don’t maintain a straight spine, the muscles of your jawline might become weaker so the skin loses its flexibility.
Can Losing Weight Help You Lose Neck Fat?
It is very possible to get rid of neck fat only by changing the way you lead your life without having to undergo cosmetic surgery. With a proper diet and regular exercise, most people can become leaner and achieve a slimmer neck. That means you must have an active lifestyle and consume fewer calories.
Can You Make Your Double Chin Go Away?
The short answer is yes, you can! The long one is how you get there. It won’t be an easy process because it requires you to lose weight and eat healthy foods but it will be totally worth it. Nevertheless, it takes time so don’t expect overnight results.
Can Chewing Gum Lower Fat Around the Face?
Some say that chewing gum might be effective when you’re trying to lose neck fat. This happens because the chewing movement stimulates the muscles in your neck as well as the entire facial area.
Make sure not to chew more than one gum a day. Doing it several times a day can cause negative effects such as stomach issues.
How to Get Rid of Neck Fat – Bottom Line
Plenty of people deal with neck fat but I would suggest you give diet and workout a try before choosing to undergo an invasive medical procedure. If, after following a balanced diet and working out, you fail to see any results, then you should discuss the issue with your doctor and ask him or her for advice.
- When neck fat starts to appear, this is a clear message that you have gained a couple of extra pounds. To help you get back on track, here are the 7 Best Bodyweight Training Books that will get you the wanted results and for not a fortune too. Also, you might also want to check out the Top 5 Best Detox Diets to Try in 2019 that will also get you on the way of losing those extra pounds that make you insecure.
Alt Protein Team is a team of professionals and enthusiasts committed to bringing you the most up-to-date information on alternative protein, health and wellness, workouts, and all things health-related. We’ve reviewed a lot of products and services so you don’t have to guess when you spend your hard-earned money on them. Whether you want to shed some pounds, build lean muscle or bulk, we can help you figure out what you need to do and what you need to have to achieve your goals.