Have you heard about the Smoothie Diet? If you’re a fan of smoothies and you want to lose weight and detox your body, I am sure you will be interested to find out more about this diet plan. Smoothie diets are all the rage nowadays when food products are filled with chemicals and artificial ingredients. Stick with me to find out more about the Smoothie Diet such as the way it works, pros, cons, included materials, and more here in my full Smoothie Diet review.
- 1 What Is the Smoothie Diet All About?
- 2 How Does This Special Diet Work?
- 3 Smoothie Diet Basic Steps
- 4 How Many Pounds Should You Expect to Lose?
- 5 Pros and Cons
- 6 Smoothie Diet Main Recipes
- 7 Materials Included in This Weight-Loss Program
- 8 Potential Side Effects of Green Smoothies
- 9 The Smoothie Diet – Drawing to a Close
What Is the Smoothie Diet All About?
The Smoothie Diet was created by Drew Sgoutas who is a nutrition expert and a professional health coach. He claims that his main goal is to help people lose weight without the confusion that comes with complicated diets. According to him, his program leads to a healthier living and makes things a lot simpler for all dieters.
The diet is supposed to lower one’s sugar consumption by consuming freshly-made smoothies each day instead of regular foods. The objective is to regulate blood sugar levels and insulin production while also obtaining a sustainable weight loss. But does it truly work? Is it really effective and worth of your time and effort? And, the most important thing you will probably want to know is whether or not it will help you lose weight. Well, you’re about to find out the answer to all these questions.
How Does This Special Diet Work?
This 21-day diet plan speeds up your weight-loss process by lowering the overall sugar consumption. Once you become a client, you will receive a shopping list each week where you will find everything you need to purchase to prepare those healthy beverages. So, you don’t need to run to the grocery store more than just once a week. Besides the shopping list, you will also get a daily smoothie calendar that will simplify your meal planning task. Finally, a smoothie recipe guide was also designed, where you can find plenty of interesting smoothie ideas.
The program is a repeatable one which means that after 21 days, you can start it again as often as you wish. There are three easy things you must do towards a healthier and slimmer version of yourself:
- Enroll in the Green Smoothie Jump Start program which is totally free of charge and lasts 5 days;
- Go to the next level – become a Smoothie Diet client and complete the 21-day program which focuses a lot more on helping you shed those extra pounds right off;
- Join the Smoothie Diet community to receive advice, support, and motivation. This will help you stay up to date with everything that goes on inside the community and potential diet changes or upgrades.
Smoothie Diet Basic Steps
1. The Ideal Calorie Deficit Calculation
Without situating yourself in the correct calorie deficit, you won’t be able to lose any weight. Estimating the number of calories and consuming a few green smoothies are not enough to achieve your desired weight-loss goals. The program will provide you with a calorie deficit formula that you must use which takes into consideration various factors like your current weight, age, height, and more. This must be done before starting the Smoothie diet.
2. Weekly Preparation
Get ready to prepare a lot of smoothies during the entire program, over the course of three weeks. The diet’s creator has thought of a way to help dieters enjoy a more convenient experience which is where the shopping list comes in handy. It is organized per smoothie and per week. Besides smoothies, you will also receive recommendations on what other healthy foods to buy and eat which lowers the risk of diet failure. So, do yourself a huge favor and stick to the shopping list provided by the Smoothie diet.
3. Daily Meal Replacement
The program suggests you replace a couple of meals each day with a smoothie recipe of your choice, from the options included in the diet. Still, it is not recommended to substitute more than two meals per day because whole foods play an important role as well. You have the freedom to choose what meals to eliminate and consume a smoothie instead. The rest of the meals will be made from solid foods. The Smoothie diet even includes solid food suggestions and a recipe list which I think it is a huge advantage.
Here are a few examples of recipes made with solid foods:
- A mixed bowl of black beans and brown rice;
- Spinach salad with strawberry quinoa;
- Balsamic chicken salad;
- Carrot noddle salad;
- Bell pepper tacos;
- A delicious and healthy salad made from brown rice, apple, and spinach; etc.
4. In-Between Meals Snacks
Yes, you read it right. Besides smoothies and solid foods, you will also consume small snacks which must be high in fiber and low in sugar. You will find a complete list of healthy snacks in the core diet guide. The majority of the snacks don’t have more than 150-200 calories.
5. Weekly Cheat Day
You can use this particular day to your advantage. It is normal to deal with sugar cravings. These issues appear mostly at the beginning of the program. The cheat day is created to help you fight those cravings while also alleviating mental fatigue. In fact, a cheat day is good for any kind of diet because it balances your body’s hormones. This is important in any weight management process.
How Many Pounds Should You Expect to Lose?
I know how eager you are to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time but, realistically talking, this diet will help you shed approximately 2 or 3 pounds per week. From what I’ve heard, it is not impossible to lose more than that but it is pretty challenging for dieters’ schedules because they will need to prepare a higher number of smoothies. You should expect to get rid of up to 50-70 pounds if you repeat this diet plan several times. All I know is this: don’t expect to lose a lot of weight in only three weeks. It could take a couple of program cycles so make sure you’re committed and motivated.
Pros and Cons
- The preparation guidelines provided by the program are extensive which is a good thing because they tell you everything you need to know in order to kick-start your weight-loss journey;
- The program provides a wide range of smoothie recipes so you won’t get easily bored;
- Clients will also have access to a daily smoothie planner to help them organize their diet;
- You’re allowed to one cheat day each week which prevents frustrations and diet relapses;
- The system includes a brief detox plan that lasts three days.
- Some say that consuming too many smoothies, especially green ones, can be harmful to one’s organism;
- This program is not suited for individuals who deal with food allergies;
- You need to prepare your smoothies on a daily basis which can be a bit time-consuming;
- Not everybody can make a long-term commitment and some might feel hunger or other sensations.
Smoothie Diet Main Recipes
You will find no less than 36 available smoothie recipes in the diet plan guide. Moreover, if you opt for the premium package, you will get a higher number of recipes. During the program, you are required to consume smoothies six days per week. The seventh day is the cheat day. Simply put, you will have more than enough recipe ideas so you won’t have to prepare the same smoothie twice during the entire diet. So, variety is another major competitive advantage that makes the Smoothie diet stand out in an industry full of promising weight-loss miracle systems.
I have created a short list of some of the most popular smoothie recipes included in the program:
- Caramel apple;
- Mango lime chill;
- Chocolate cherry;
- Green energy;
- Vanilla chai;
- Tropical blast;
- Iced pumpkin;
- Peanut butter bliss;
- Banana oats;
- Green apple; etc.
Materials Included in This Weight-Loss Program
The program provides only digital materials which can be easily downloaded to your personal device in order to use them for future reference. The guides, booklets, and recipe ideas can be seen on tablets, computers, and even smartphones.
1. Smoothie Diet Core Plan
This is a comprehensive guide that explains this program’s core philosophy as well as certain basic nutrition details that will make you see how a balanced weight-loss works and what mistakes you must avoid doing. The core guide will also present you with detailed recipes and several shopping lists.
2. Quick Start Guide
Although it is not a very good idea to skip the core plan guide, you can do that and go directly to the quick start guide which helps you jump right into the diet. From here, you can access the daily planner that will inform you about what smoothies you must prepare for the day.
3. An Optional 3-Day Detox Plan
While this is an optional plan, you should definitely follow it because it will detox your body and flush toxins out of your organism. This way, your organs will function better and your overall health will be improved. If you used to eat a lot of processed foods before the diet, the detox plan is an amazing way to start.
Additional Services Included in the Premium Packages
- Individual email coaching – if you want to pay more to receive personal and customized advice on what you should do to lose weight, prepare your meals, keep count of your progress, and more, the Premium option has an email coaching service available.
- Whole food meal planning – you can use this material after you complete the 21-day smoothie diet. It helps you maintain a slimmer body and simplifies your weight-loss management in the long-term. So, you will keep off those pounds you shed during the main diet by enjoying healthy and tasty whole food recipes.
Potential Side Effects of Green Smoothies
The Smoothie diet involves plenty of green smoothies which are a controversial subject. Many people say these beverages are good for one’s health while some individuals warn us about certain possible side effects:
- Most smoothies include cold or even frozen ingredients which can lead to a couple of problems such as pain or gas after consumption, constipation, poor circulation, variable energy, etc.;
- Other adverse effects of smoothie diets: insomnia, anxiety, mental agitation, weaker bones, weaker teeth, etc.
Finally, some of these smoothies can be pretty hard to digest. Despite the fact that most ingredients are light, when you combine them together, the final result becomes dense and heavy. One’s stomach will digest heavy food a lot harder. This is especially the case of green smoothies which are very complex.
Bonus Tips! How Can You Make Your Smoothies Healthier?
- Add a very small amount of ginger or turmeric and a bit of lemon juice to aid digestion;
- Drink room-temperature smoothies instead of cold ones;
- Opt for simple smoothies – include fewer ingredients to avoid a beverage that’s too dense;
- Try some smoothies without adding fruits to the mix;
- Avoid adding superfoods in all your smoothies;
- Add a tiny amount of coconut oil to make the smoothies easier to digest.
The Smoothie Diet – Drawing to a Close
The Smoothie Diet is an effective weight-loss solution that brings a lot of benefits. First of all, liquid foods are easier to digest so your body will be able to absorb nutrients from fruits and veggies a lot quicker. This particular diet plan is popular also because it allows you to include whole foods in your daily meals and it even has one cheat day per week.
Try it out and let me know how well it worked for you! I’m excited to find out about your own experience with this program.
- Daily Harvest vs Green Blender: Battle Of The Smoothie Subscriptions
- The Top 5 Best Protein Supplements for Delicious Smoothies
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.