MyProtein BCAA 2:1:1 (Unflavored, 1.1 lb) (or BCAAs) are the three most important of the essential amino acids: leucine, valine, and isoleucine. These three amino acids make up 66% of the protein in your body, and they are the primary amino acids required to produce new muscle tissue. Getting more of these BCAAs is vital for muscular growth and weight loss.
Most protein powders come with a few grams of BCAAs in them. However, if you want to maximize the effectiveness of your workout, you may want to consider adding a BCAA supplement to your daily regimen. MyProtein BCAA is one of the many BCAA supplements on the market, and we’ve done the research to help you know whether or not it’s a good option for you to consider.
About MyProtein BCAA
MyProtein is a UK-based brand, and their whey protein powder is one of the highest-rated supplements in the country. It’s designed to protect lean muscle mass and encourage fat-burning. For those who are trying to get fit without bulking up (packing on the pounds of muscle), this is an ideal supplement to take. The BCAAs will increase lean mass and will improve BMI.
What makes MyProtein BCAA 2:1:1 (Unflavored, 1.1 lb) a supplement worth considering? The brand is highly respected in the UK, though the majority of user reviews are focused on the whey protein rather than BCAA supplement. However, it delivers the standard 5 grams of BCAAs, with a 2:1:1 ratio of leucine, valine, isoleucine. It delivers the amino acids needed to produce healthy, lean muscle tissue.
- 5 grams of BCAAs per scoop
- Intended for use 2-4 times daily
- Mixes with water or fruit juice
- Eliminated lactose, cholesterol, and fat
- Ideal for vegetarians
- Contains 500 grams per package
- Price: $32.95 (MyProtein BCAA 2:1:1 (Unflavored, 1.1 lb))
This supplement contains 66% BCAAs, along with flavoring acid, citric acid, artificial coloring, extract from purple carrot, and artificial sweetener (sucralose, known by the brand name Splenda). It’s not the most natural of supplements, and it may contain a few allergens: soy, egg, and dairy. However, it delivers the amino acids needed to build muscle.
As mentioned above, the BCAA supplement is intended to be taken 2-4 times per day. It can be mixed into a glass of water or fruit juice, either with a spoon, Blender bottle, or a blender. The fruit flavors make it a good companion for water and fruit juice alike, though the artificial flavors may be a bit unusual.
This product is Grade A-ranked by Labdoor, and is designed for those who lead an active lifestyle. If you want to give your body more of the BCAAs it needs to build muscle, this is definitely a supplement to consider.
Pros of MyProtein BCAA
Here are some of the things users love about MyProtein BCAA:
- Great for adding to water – If you want a supplement to mix in with your water at the gym or while running, this is a good one to consider. It not only adds flavor to the water, but it also improves the nutritional profile. You can deliver BCAAs to your body while you work out and make your water more enjoyable.
- An effective dose of BCAAs – The supplement delivers over 5 grams of BCAAs, with a decent ratio (twice as much leucine as isoleucine and valine) of amino acids to ensure effective muscle growth. The dosage of BCAAs is excellent, and you’ll find it’s easily digested and put to work by your body.
- Good quality product – The quality of the BCAAs in this supplement has never been called into question. The vast majority of users state that they see results from taking the supplement. Definitely, a good option if you want BCAAs that work.
Cons of MyProtein BCAA
As with any product, there are a few downsides to MyProtein BCAA:
- Terrible taste – The majority of reviews (positive and negative alike) allude to the terrible taste of the supplement. Reviewers claim that it’s too bitter, has too much of an artificial/chemical flavor, or just tastes off. Even with such a wide range of flavors to choose from, there are no positive reviews on even one of the tastes. At best, users commented, “I got used to the flavor over time”.
- Doesn’t mix well – Most supplements have some trouble mixing with cold water, but this BCAA protein refuses to mix unless you use a blender bottle or blender. Add it to your water with a spoon and you’ll find that the powder clumps together and clings to the wall of your cup. It’s definitely not the most user-friendly supplement.
- Not the best ratio of BCAAs – The 2:1:1 ratio of this supplement is fairly balanced, though it could be better. Many BCAA supplements had a 3:1:2 ratio, which delivers faster muscle growth and recovery. You still get 66% BCAAs from this supplement, but it’s not the most concentrated form of these important amino acids.
Other Options to Consider
If you’re not sure MyProtein BCAA is the best choice for you, here are a few other BCAA supplements we highly recommend:
Scivation Xtend BCAAs
This supplement has the same 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs, but it delivers 2 grams more per scoop than MyProtein’s BCAAs. There is also an added 2.5 grams of glutamine (to boost immune system) and 1 gram of citrulline (to reduce fatigue and improve endurance). It contains zero calories and is totally free of sugar and carbs.
It even contains electrolytes that will enhance hydration and keep you going for longer. At just $20 for 30 servings, it’s also a cheaper alternative to MyProtein.
BPI Sports Best BCAA Powder
If you’re looking for a better-tasting form of BCAAs, this is a great option to consider. The fruit punch flavor is absolutely delicious, not too sweet, but great for adding into water. It mixes easily even without a blender or blender bottle and will deliver the amino acids your body needs.
It too, has a 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs (twice as much leucine as isoleucine and valine), but it also contains conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) to enhance stamina and speed up recovery. If you’re serious about building muscle, this is a good BCAA powder to try. You’ll pay less than $20 and 30 servings of high-quality amino acids.
Muscle Pharm BCAA 3:1:2 Powder
For those who want a higher ratio of leucine and valine, this is the supplement to try. The BCAA powder delivers the amino acids your body needs to maintain and develop healthy muscle tissue. It’s a great pre-, during, and post-workout supplement, and it’s easily mixed into any cup or bottle of water or fruit juice.
You get 6 grams of BCAAs per serving. You’ll find it’s one of the better-tasting BCAA supplements on the market, and delivers real results. At $17 for a 30-day supply, it’s an excellent option for your workouts.
The Final Scoop
While MyProtein ranks highly with its Impact Whey protein, the MyProtein BCAA 2:1:1 (Unflavored, 1.1 lb) supplement fails to deliver. Not only do you end up with a hard-to-mix supplement, but the variety of flavors can be hard to stomach. The quality of the BCAAs is still excellent, yet the unpleasant flavors makes it a less-than-great choice. You can find better options at a much better price.
Health enthusiast, runner, protein nut. Owen likes to write about protein, particularly alternatve supplementation and supplement comparisons.