What is a ketogenic diet?A ketogenic diet is something that is basically a drastic version of a low-carb and high-fat diet. It is designed to get you to lose weight rapidly by almost completely eliminating carbs from your diet. By drastically reducing the amount of carbohydrates that you take in, your body begins burning more fat. This reduces carbs in your body, and the metabolic state that your body goes into for this is called ketosis. Ketones are tiny molecules that are produced your liver that can be converted into energy and used in the brain. The ketogenic diet also helps with the reductions in insulin and blood sugar levels.
What are keto drinks?Keto foods seem to be more popular than keto drinks, but keto drinks do have just as many benefits as the foods do. You may have had that moment on New Year’s Eve when you decide that your new year’s resolution is to go on a diet. The keto diet may be the answer to that resolution, that is healthy and generally safe for your body. Water is known as the ultimate keto drink, and it is no surprise. It’s healthy, and you need to drink plenty of water on a daily basis, no matter what diet you’re on. However, other keto drinks can replace some of your daily water intake, if you’re tired of drinking water, and only water, all day. Sometimes you need a better tasting refreshment. This can be done with keto drinks like coffee, tea, non-dairy milk, drinks, and smoothies. The best keto drinks out there are separated into three groups: non-alcoholic, alcoholic and nutritious drinks. We will be chatting more about each of the categories below.
Non-Alcoholic keto drinks (Tea and Coffee)
TeaMany types of tea are keto-friendly. These types of tea may sound familiar to you: black tea, green tea, herbal teas. All these teas have very low carbs, and they are just the thing for a keto diet. These teas also have health benefits, and they should be drunk on a regular basis. For example, green tea is well-known for its ability to prevent cancer. It also helps to improve your immune system, and it can actively reduce stress. In today’s world, these are exactly the type of solutions that we are constantly looking for. Often teas do not have calories, and they can be very helpful while you’re on a weight loss program. A good tip is to try and have different types of tea while you’re on a keto diet. This way you’re not bored, and your body is getting all the nutrition it needs.
CoffeeCoffee is a keto drink, and as you can imagine, it is quite a popular one. Many people are so used to having coffee on a daily basis, that it seems like a very difficult drink to give up. So if you still need the caffeine but want to stay healthy – there’s an answer to that. So what coffee should you look out for? The best keto coffee to drink is black coffee. You can enjoy this black or with dairy-free milk, but make sure that you do not add any sugar or sweeteners. Black coffee is the purest form of coffee, and it doesn’t have any additives in it, which makes it generally healthy. Other types of coffee that can be added to your keto diet include the likes of coffee with spices or coconut oil. You can add spices like cinnamon to add more flavor to the coffee if you need.
Alcoholic keto drinksAlcoholic drinks are often a complete no-no when you are on a diet. But on the keto diet, there are a few alcoholic drinks that you can have. Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol is not advised, but if you would like to have a drink every now and then, you can. Such alcoholic drinks that are keto-friendly include tequilas, bourbons, whiskeys, brandy, cognac, gin, and vodka. It is important to note that drinks that have sweeteners in them or any added flavors should be avoided. Wines and cocktails should also be avoided due to the sugar level in them. That being said, most alcoholic beverages will generally knock you out of deep ketosis. If you are not worried about being in a deep ketosis state, then a couple of drinks here and there should be fine.
Nutritious keto drinksThis is the third and final category for keto drinks. They are generally drinks that have a large number of nutrients and fats in them. Such drinks include plain water, non-dairy milk, and smoothies.
Plain waterWater is the best to drink on any diet. It is the only drink that has a guarantee of zero calories and definitely has no carbs. It has no sugar and most importantly, your body needs it. If you are looking to lose weight on a keto diet, you want to drink a lot of water definitely. It is the highest recommendation that we have. Drinking water will aid your body in a number of ways like staying hydrated, fighting tiredness and reducing cravings. If your stomach is feeling full often from the water, you won’t think about other foods every 10 minutes. Water also helps with digestion. Remember, if you don’t enjoy the taste of water, add a few slices of lemon to get some healthy flavor into it. You can even have some sparkling water if you wish. You can also add low to no carb sweeter liquids such as Mio to your water for some very low carb flavor.
Non-dairy milkYou may be thinking “What could non-dairy milk possibly be?” An example of non-dairy milk is coconut milk. This type of milk is ideal for a keto diet as it is not whole milk. Whole milk has a decent amount of carbs in it, and this is what you want to avoid. If you do need to drink milk, make sure that it is full-fat milk and do not sweeten it. Also, avoid any low-fat milk.
SmoothiesThis is one of the most common keto drinks, purely because they taste so good and they’re really fun to make. Smoothies are naturally sweet so they don’t need any extra sweeteners, and they are typically nutritious. Many have low carbohydrates, and there are so many ways to make smoothies. This is the one type of keto drink that doesn’t limit you. You get low carb smoothies which are made of plants, dairy products, and fats. These ingredients include things like coconut oil, egg yolk, peanut butter, avocados, and greens. Plant produce including vegetables like kale and spinach are always great for you. Berries are also great in smoothies, and the dairy products that can be added are ones like coconut yogurt and full-fat yogurts without sweeteners.
Should you drink juice while on a keto diet?The answer to that is yes and no. Unfortunately, most fruit juices out there are high in carbs and as a result, make it almost impossible to drink while you’re on a keto diet. There are a lot of brands out there that have made an effort to manufacture reduced sugar juices, which help lower the carbs in them. So if you need to drink juice, you can if it’s the right type.
Size does matterDrinking a soft drink that is very sugary is never a great idea when you’re on a keto diet. But if you’re feeling for something like a soda, you can have it as long as it is in moderation. Remember that size is everything. If you are having something as sugary as soda, a can is equivalent to one day out of ketosis. A large bottle can prevent ketosis for a few days. So, if you make this sacrifice, just know, you are going to be knocked out of ketosis for at least a day.
What should you drink on a keto diet?We have spoken about what to drink as well as the different categories of keto drinks, but here’s a more comprehensive list as to what you can drink when you are on a keto diet. You will find that the main drinks are still teas, coffees, and water. But here are a few more to add to your list for variation:
WaterNo doubt water should be your best friend while you’re on a keto diet. If you don’t like drinking plain water, add some herbs or lemon. Lemon juice also works.
Sparkling waterIf you’re up for bubbly drinks and can’t say no to them, then this is it. You need bubbly that has zero calories. Add some fruity flavors if you’re looking for more fun in your drink. Low to no carb Sweeteners such as Mio are great for adding flavor to good ole H2O.
Coffee and teaIf you need an energy boost and you’re a caffeine person, you will be glad to know that you can still have caffeine. Tea or coffee is allowed, provided that it is not sugared or sweetened with high carb sweeteners.
Diet sodaNot the best thing on the list, but if you crave soda, the diet version is better than the regular version. Diet soda has no sugar so you won’t be taking in carbs when having this. Although, diet sodas contain Aspartame, a nasty chemical that is linked to causing cancer and other diseases.
Juice alternativesUsual fruit juice is very sweet and therefore, has a lot of carbs in it. But you can drink low calorie or even zero calorie juices. These include things like Powerade Zeroas well as Vitamin Water. This means that you can have a great taste without adding any sugar.
Low-carb dairy productsYou can have a bit of milk in your tea or coffee but remember to try and have much less than you usually do. You can use unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk as a substitute if need be.
SmoothiesThis is the one drink that you’re allowed to have a lot of leeway with. Remember to try and have as many vegetables as possible and no milk, rather use high-fat yogurt. Berries and spinach are great in smoothies and makes a wonderful breakfast or snack.
The Best Keto DrinksNow that we know what several categories of keto drinks, it’s time to look at some keto products and review them. This will easily help you gauge what you need to purchase for your ketogenic diet.
1. Sheer KETONES BHB Salts SupplementSheer Ketones is a supplement that is designed to help get you on the right track to get your body in shape and healthy. This supplement works best if you are on a keto diet and you are exercising. It allows you to enjoy the fact that you just have to eat healthily, drink healthy and work out and the supplement does the rest for you. The powder helps you create more ketones too. When you use this product, you will rapidly enter into ketosis. This means that you will build up levels of ketones in your blood that will assist with building energy from within your body. Your body’s metabolism will increase, and you will start to burn fat much faster than you do now. The Sheer Ketones is carb free as well as sugarfree so remember that it is entirely healthy for you. All you need to do is be diligent enough to take it regularly and eat well with it. The product does not make you lose weight until you are absolutely ready to change your diet and lifestyle with it. You need to take the supplement by mixing it into a drink like a shake or water. This product isn’t like other supplements, it actually works really well and tastes pretty good. You can take it at least once a day at first, and increase that to twice a day once your body has adjusted to having the supplement regularly. Be careful about dosages on this product; you need to be able to take enough, but not too much. Too much of this could lead to issues with your digestive system. This supplement is also not meant for children.
- Tastes good
- Helps burn fat
- Helps increase your metabolism
- Gives an energy boost
- Good blackberry lemonade flavor
- Limited flavors available
2. Perfect Keto Matcha Latte with MCT Oil PowderPerfect Keto Matcha Latte is rather popular in the keto world and it is very healthy. Matcha lattes are quite a buzzword product at the moment, and people love them. The powder in this product is made of organic ceremonial matcha which is directly from Japan. This means that the drink is deliciously creamy and healthy. The drink is an excellent source of energy and helps with weight-loss, so if you want a drink that helps, this is it. The drink contains ingredients like coconut oils, acacia fiber, and stevia leaf. These all contribute to decreasing cholesterol, promote heart health, alleviate constipation, and lower blood sugar levels. It has 100 percent pure MCT oil powder which means that it is completely healthy and natural. One thing we did find about the matcha latte is that it is extremely healthy, but this comes at a price. The drink does not have any additives, which means that it can easily be a drink that is not as tasty as the product says. Bare this in mind when buying the product.
- 100% natural
- Zero additives or fillers
- Matcha lattes are a good concept
- The taste is not as great, with the drink being 100% authentic and no sugars added
3. Perfect Keto Grass-fed Collagen and MCT Oil Low Carb Protein Powder ChocolatePerfect Keto Grass-fed Collagen is geared to people that are in the gym every day. So if you’re not that person, be careful not to purchase this and then ‘not see a result.’ You need to exercise as often as you can as your body needs to burn a lot of fat for the powder to work. The plus side is that if you do work out often, you will start to see the weight loss quite quickly. The product then starts to help with body toning due to the amount of fat that is being burnt. It is best to have this drink just before a workout.
Practical Powder: Dissolves easily into any drink, hot or cold. Mix into water, coffee, shakes, smoothies, yogurt, or oatmeal for a chocolate flavor that kicks your sweet tooth, but not your diet.
- Great chocolate taste that is also available in caramel and vanilla
- 100% natural cocoa powder used, adding to the great taste
- No artificial sweeteners or coloring used
- Dissolves instantly
- Increases energy levels
- Helps with blood sugar levels
- Does not always agree with diabetic people
- You have to constantly workout if you want to see results
4. Keto BHB Salts SupplementThis product is a supplement that is quite popular amongst the keto diet enthusiasts. It is manufactured by Zenwise who is known for making products that can give great results regarding a ketogenic diet. You will find that this specified product is easy to make into a drink and it can help you get to a new state of fitness rather quickly. This does not mean that it is the product that will get you to lose weight the quickest, but it will aid to get you going to the gym more often than not. If you would just rather eat well and follow a diet, here are some of the best diet plans that will help you achieve your goals. When you are producing Ketones, you will burn more fat when you work out. This means that your blood pumps better and you get an overall, great experience when using a supplement like this. The one thing that has cut me back is the fact that the Keto BHB Salts are raspberry flavored, not the greatest choice for everyone. Although the drink does dissolve well and quickly too. The go BHB additive helps you improve performance, and it is best to take the drink just before you workout. The drink should not be consumed before going to work, or anywhere else but a workout really. The reason is that some people have experienced drowsiness and overall sleepiness if they take the drink and don’t work out. So be careful.
- You can reach a ketogenic stage quickly if you workout enough
- It is a powerful workout supplement
- Boosts muscle recovery
- It burns body fat quickly
- You can get sleepy if you consume this and don’t work out
- The raspberry flavor isn’t everyone’s favorite
- It does not fully boost energy levels
5. KetoFast Exogenous Ketone Beta-Hydroxybutyrate BHB Salts SupplementKetoFast BHB Salts Supplement is made up of organic BHB or Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, organic sodium, calcium, and magnesium. All of these are organic which means that they assist with dissolving fat cells, optimize energy levels and even help regulate blood pressure levels. Your muscles, hormones, and nerves are all affected with this product and in a good way. You get fast and very impressive results with this supplement. However, be sure to monitor the product as you want something that is not just a short-term win, and this drink could be that.
- The drink mixes easily
- It enhances workouts
- Has 100% natural ingredients
- Works fast with great results
- May not be a good long-term solution
Frequently Asked Questions: FAQs
Question: Does coffee help ketosis?
Question: Can you have sugar in coffee on keto?
Question: How much coffee can I drink on Keto?
In ConclusionThese products are all great for a keto diet, but as you can see, they all have their own advantages and disadvantages. So now it is time for you to analyze what goal you want to achieve with your keto drink so that you know what drinks and supplements to take on a daily basis. The biggest thing to remember is that no matter what keto drinks you have, you need to eat right and workout with them. Otherwise, they will not show results. There are quite a few drinks that are taken as ‘keto-friendly’ and others like a soda can be had in moderation. So remember that you need to stick to a decent diet and make sure you drink enough water, tea, and smoothies. Also try to work out as often as you can, as these keto drinks and supplements require you to burn off as much fat as you possibly can. Your body will go through immense changes, and it is imperative to understand that you need to keep up with those changes and maintain them as much as you can. Try to find a supplement that works well with your body and does not have a ‘quick-fix’ policy. You want something that will work in the long-run so that you don’t put the weight back on after a few months. I hope you enjoyed this review and we look forward to hearing how your keto diet is going!
Alt Protein Team is a team of professionals and enthusiasts committed to bringing you the most up-to-date information on alternative protein, health and wellness, workouts, and all things health-related. We’ve reviewed a lot of products and services so you don’t have to guess when you spend your hard-earned money on them. Whether you want to shed some pounds, build lean muscle or bulk, we can help you figure out what you need to do and what you need to have to achieve your goals.